The short version: Want to be sure that I have the books you want at GCLS 2014 in Portland? Pre-order them now. Plus, a portion of the sales are going to support Portland homeless youth through Outside In, a local youth resources organization that helps over 9,000 people every month find food, jobs and hope.
All The Details
It’s just a few more weeks to GCLSCon, my favorite reader event of the year (Golden Crown Literary Society 7/9-7/13/2014). Look for me at the Bella Books tables in the vendor area during the Meet and Greet on Wednesday evening, during breaks and certainly during the Author Autograph Session on Friday afternoon. I will sign body parts, your book collection, laptop – anything. Though, generally, it’s helpful if the books are ones I’ve written because I’ve found the other writers get a little testy about it when I’ve already taken up the space on their title page. That KG MacGregor – no sense of humor, ask anyone.
It’s always a busy, fun event:
- Wednesday afternoon I’m making a brief appearance at the Writer’s Academy with Lee Lynch and faculty to share some insights into the writer’s life and thoughts on issues facing new writers today.
- Wednesday evening is the Meet and Greet. Please say hi! Get a hug, pick up your books if you’ve ordered them, have me sign books you’ve brought from home, enter the Bella drawings.
- Thursday morning, I Wish I’d Written That! moderated by KG MacGregor. Katherine V. Forrest, Georgia Beers, Lori L. Lake and I will be talking about books we love and elements in them that we outright envy.
- Friday afternoon, Author Autograph Session. More hugs, perhaps you sense a theme…
- Saturday morning, Eat Your Heart Out, moderated by Lynn Ames. Food in our books is the subject. I have not a clue why they thought of me or Mary Griggs, Georgia Beers or RG Emmanuelle.
- Saturday afternoon I get to introduce six new writers in the annual So I Had This Idea* panel: Heather Blackmore, Marie Castle, RG Emmanuelle, Sandra Moran, Cindy Rizzo and SY Thompson.
- Saturday closing Clown Car Author Chat, what is sure to be a riot with moderator Mercedes Lewis, I’m joined by Erica Abbott, Salem West, Erica Lawson and Ann Roberts.
- Saturday night – The Goldies! This year servicemembers and first responders will be in uniform as we celebrate the demise of DADT and the rise of visibility of our community heroes – it’ll be a night to remember.
So as you can see, it’s sort of a “try and get rid of me” situation.
Ordering the Books
The upside of writing a lot of books is that in all of these sessions I have plenty to talk about. Though it’s possible the other writers might wonder if I’ll ever shut up, and sometimes readers ask me about a book and I have no recollection whatsoever of that particular element. An undeniable downside is that there’s no way I can bring a couple of copies of every book and leave room on the table for anyone else.
So I’m only bringing a few copies of my latest few, and books that are specifically pre-ordered for delivery at the Con. This is the time to stake your claim to the books you want, and I’ve added an incentive, as you’ll also be helping a local Portland youth resource group at the same time.
For every order between now and the Con I’m donating
a portion to Outside In based on the order total.
Be sure when you check out to pick “Bring to GCLS in Portland!” as the shipping method so I know not to ship your books to your billing address! I’ll bring the books to Portland and sign them for you when we meet. All you need to do is leave some room in your suitcase for the trip home.
Questions? Comment at the blog, on Facebook or Tweet me.
Thank you for considering joining the support of the youth in Portland. Thank you also for reading this blog! As always, a “like” or “share” or “tweet” to spread the word is very much appreciated.
Don’t need any books right now? Consider donating directly to Outside In. You made it and you know it gets better. Pay it forward. Not going to GCLS and want to order a book? Yes, I’ll still give a portion of the proceeds as above to Outside In, until July 2, 2014.
*reg.us.pat.off. Dr. Pol Robinson