You might also want to check out It’s All Good, my blog about buying great chocolate on a budget.
Really, It’s Quite Simple
Here are the few questions I ask.
- Milk, dark, bittersweet, single origin, Swiss, Mexican, and/or Dutch?
- How dark a dark? 55%? 70%? Do you curse the people who brought math into the enjoyment of chocolate?
- Are you influenced by appearance and whimsy? Ever heard of Moonstruck?
- Fillings smooth or coarse? Nibs and/or fruit pieces or sauce?
- Liqueors or nut essences? Nuts themselves? Nougats? Caramels or toffees?
- Do you consider “white” chocolate to be chocolate?
- Does it all taste like a Hershey bar to you or do you get you all warm and fuzzy using phrases like “good mouth”?
- Are there some chocolates you refuse to share?
- Would you eat something labeled “chocolate-flavored”?
- Do you eat chocolate absent-mindedly or does it call for candlelight?
- Have you ever admitted to an erotic dream about chocolate? Details, please. Purely for research, you understand. I have a short story due and I already used mine.
- Do you long for the time, fitness, blood sugar results and money to work your way through the “unique source” choices at the local upscale market?
- I say “Callebaut” and you say….?
- Has a Hershey kiss ever prevented a homicide at your house?
- Ever said “What’s with the chocolate thing, I can take it or leave it.” Ever say that in a group of lesbians? If so, can I see your scar?
- Do you rage at a medical establishment which refuses to prescribe chocolate for PMS when you know it works and want to submit the expense to your medical reimbursement account?
- Ever get caught by a sharp-eyed four-year old you’ve just told there’s no dessert tonight with your head in the cupboard and a suspicous cocoa-colored smear on your upper lip?
Now that you’ve gathered information – and had perhaps a fun conversation about tastes, preferences and proclivities – you can wander into the wide world of chocolate with a goal in mind.
If you’re shopping on a budget, you can still get very good chocolate. Check out It’s All Good, a wrap up of ways to delight and still have money for rent.